HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 1

From:
"DIMSHA, Calvin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DIMSHA, Calvin
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 21:16:00 +0000
Our 959KS/200 currently serves users on both the east and west coasts. With
night shifts, there is no time when all users are logged off, no convenient
time for me to do a complete backup. By the time the west coast is going
home, I've got people coming in here on the east coast. To minimize the
impact on the users, I stagger my backups, doing the east coast accounts
around 2AM and the west coast accounts around 4AM (eastern times). I have a
command file which aborts jobs and sessions based on account, and everything
works great.

Two changes are forcing me to re-think my strategy. We will soon be adding
England to this system. We are also implementing a new application which
will have all users in a single account with different groups for the
various locations.

I would like to continue with the staggered backups, doing each location in
the wee hours of the morning, local time. What I'm looking for is an elegant
way to abort users and jobs which are accessing the files in question
without affecting other users logged into the account.

I'm not really interested in "true online" backup at this time. I do a
virtual tape backup using Roadrunner which only takes minutes per group.

Other tools available are MPEX and Security/3000. We're running MPE/iX 5.5
with several patches including Power Patch 1.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Calvin Dimsha
Site IS/IT Supervisor
Lucas Control Systems