HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 5

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 13:15:12 -0800
Chuck Duncan comments:

[stuff about sorting snipped...]

>Cobol could use a Sort Table option.  I believe Suprtool beats
>the Cobol sort especially with Image datasets, but some people
>actually don't have Suprtool.

This is one of the new items in the upcoming COBOL-97 (or maybe
COBOL-99 or COBOL-2000, depending on the results of future standards
meetings) standard.

I would encourage active HP COBOL users to become involved in SIGCOBOL as
the next few years are very important for the adoption of these new
standards on the HP 3000.

It is becoming more apparent that HP is not looking forward to
implementing the new standards and options are being sought for how
it will get done (including adopting a 3'rd party COBOL that does
support the new standards). The more HP COBOL user input is provided,
the better the outcome of this most critical decision.

If you are interested in becoming more involved in HP COBOL advocacy,
through SIGCOBOL (a SIG of Interex):

email: [log in to unmask]
email is forwarded to the chair/co-chair

SIGCOBOL Chair                    SIGCOBOL Co-Chair
--------------                    -----------------
Jeanette Nutsford                 Frank Kelly
Phone/fax: 64-9-3799180           Phone: 301-838-7518
                                  Fax: 301-251-1078
Newsletter Editor
-----------------
Bruce Hobbs
Phone: 818-570-8028
Fax: 818-570-9850

Subscribe to SIGCOBOL Listserver
Send an email message to: [log in to unmask]
Leave the subject blank and in the body of the message
type: subscribe sigcobol-L firstname lastname

replace 'firstname' and 'lastname' with your actual name.

Remember, you CAN do it in COBOL!

duane percox