HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 5

From:
David Largent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Largent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:00:14 -0500
On 28 Mar 97, Michael L Gueterman wrote:

> While I agree that there were (and probably will be in the future as
> well) non-Posix related files on the FREEWARE tape, the CSL is only
> open to certain "types" of Interex members, and the HP World tapes
> only to HP World attendees (with some restrictions). The FREEWARE tape
> was given out freely (no pun intended) to all who desired one at
> IPROF, and is being made available to anyone for a nominal fee, not
> just those who pay for the privilege of accessing the CSL.

My apologies.  My bias has been exposed!  Earlier I "wondered aloud"
about the FREEWARE tape being eliminated, and instead being included
in the Interex CSL/Swap tape process.  Those thoughts were some what
short-sighted. You are right: the intent was/is to provide the
software to _anyone_, not just Interex members.  Since, IMHO,
everyone _should_ be an Interex member,   ;-)  I forgot that there
would be individuals that wouldn't be reached by exclusively using
the CSL/Swap tape idea.

> I'm not
> sure if the SIG's name accurately reflects this particular function,
> but the FREEWARE tape should standalone from the other distribution
> mechanisms already in place at Interex.

I concede that the FREEWARE tape distribution should stand alone
from CSL/Swap tapes.  I do feel, however that the programs should
find their way into the CSL as well.

IMHO, if the FREEWARE tape is to include NON-Posix programs, and will
be available to anyone, some how it needs to _not_ be under the
control of a single SIG.  SIGs (unless I am mistaken; Deloy correct
me if I am!) imply Interex membership.  To me, this type of thing
seems to better fit under the umbrella of the CSL Committee (or its
successor) - as a separate ("free") product - than it does under the
control of a given SIG.  I think we're looking at a new type of
thing here.

> I also strongly encourage HP
> to place such an account on it's FOS/SUBSYS tapes to broaden the
> distribution of these files.  That point was pretty much unanimous
> with most of the IPROF attendees if my memory is correct.  I don't
> believe the DEMOS account that was on the FREEWARE tape would be
> included in the HP distribution.

Sound good to me...

Then on Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Ken Sletten wrote that Lars/iX had
commented in response to my earlier message...

> Lars/iX said
>
> >The idea to also encourage other SIGs to pick up the idea and select
> >appropriate contributions sounds excellent to me! Just imagine if
> >SIGIMAGE and SIGALLBASE had managed to get trials of the available
> >32-bit ODBC drivers on that tape...
>
> Good point...  Of course prior to IPROF M.B. Foster had
> the only "ready" 32-bit ODBC driver for Image that I know
> of....  And I expect anyone who reads this list would be
> hard put not to have seen one of the periodic "how to get
> in touch with M.B. Foster" posts.      ;-)
>
> However, again, point well taken:  Now that the HP 3000
> world is aware of the FREEWARE tape, hopefully for the
> next one the various HP 3000 SIGs and Interex will come
> up with contributions that cover a wider area of interest....

I would like to see this concept pushed/explored/evaluated. Assuming
it happens this way, it's all the more reason _not_ to have the tape
under the control of a single SIG. (Michael Hensley, I am in no way
suggesting that you can't handle the task or that you didn't do a
terrific job on the first FREEWARE tape - quite the opposite is true
in my mind!  I'd encourage you to be involved in whatever process the
next tape is produced.)

Who at Interex wants to pick up this idea and "try it on for size"?
SIG leaders, what do you think? Other involved Interex volunteers?
Interex Staff?

(Don't you just love a trouble maker!)

-dll
David L. Largent                     "My thoughts are my own,
Information Services Manager          unless I choose to share them!"
The Gilbert Companies, Inc.          Phone: 765/284-4461
P.O. Box 1032                        Facs:  765/288-2079
Muncie, Indiana  47308-1032          Email: [log in to unmask]