HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 4

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:53:23 -0500
----------
> From: Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Gray Market? Suppliers
> Date: Monday, March 24, 1997 12:18 PM

<snipped>

> Question #1:  What is the legitimacy of these third-party suppliers?
> Are they truly gray market?  What is HP's "official" stance on them?

There are Third-Party Suppliers - they are not "grey market".  They resell
pre-owned machines which if the firm is respectable, will qualify for HP
support.  There are a number of these firms who provide fine service and
good systems.

> Question #2:  What have your experiences been with third party
suppliers?
> We've pretty much decided who we're going to buy from, but specific
> recommendations/warnings via private email would be appreciated, as well
> as general warnings/recommendations.

I've used Genisys Corporation recently and others in the past.  Every
system has qualified for HP support.  Your warning:  Make damn sure that
the supplier will guarantee HP support after THEIR guarantees expires
(usually 30 days, which gives you time to get the HP support contract in
place).  If they don't have a guarantee, go away from them.  If they won't
guarantee that HP will pick them up, then RUN - QUICKLY...

You will find all of them at HPWorld, and many do go to the Regional
meetings as well.  Also, check out 3k Associates site (http://www.3k.com)
as some of them are listed there as well.  You can easily save money with
a third party.

Good Luck!

Joe
Joe Geiser
CSI Business Solutions
140 Bristol-Oxford Valley Road, Suite 102
Langhorne, PA 19047-3083
Toll Free (US/Canada): (888) 956-9812
[log in to unmask] (at work)
[log in to unmask] (at play)