HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 4

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 14:00:41 -0400
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> At 09:27 PM 3/26/1997 +0200, you wrote:
> >HP should not only install a telesup modem with every HP3000 sold and
> >installed, but they should configure the system to receive the digest
> >from this list every single day, and make sure the proud new owners get
> >to read it, and get to join in.
>
> Now THERE's an idea! It wouldn't take much investment either, right? Some
> way to get a serial connection to an ISP with PPP connectivity, and bingo,
> HP3000-L has another lurker!
> (Plus the non-visible benefits, like finally figuring out a minimum number
> of installed HP3000 systems!)

With the freeware NetMail we give away, a cheap dialup router (like a Compat-
ible Systems or similar -less than $1000) and an external 28.8+ modem (about
$150+) any 3000 site can get hooked up to the net. A dial-on-demand account
with an ISP (about $100/month around here) and a filter-rule in the router
to only allow traffic on tcp/ip port 25 (SMTP) and 53 (DNS) and you're good
to go...

I bet if Interex were really interested, they could work out a deal with a
dialup router company and sell them to members at a good discount.

HP also makes many routers, and an option on the price list to add "dialup
Internet connection" or similar to new 3000s wouldn't be too tough. Ship
an HP dialup router (with a simple instruction sheet on how to enter the
filter rules and your IP address) and a modem and at least new 3000 sites
could easily link up.

--Oh, and include in those installation instructions how to subscribe to
HP3000-l! ;-)

                     -Chris Bartram