HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 4

From:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 06:58:16 +0200
I'd much rather see R&D dollars go into making MPE work more closely
with other OpSys's.

With Samba, we almost have the ability to share HP3000 peripherals with
Windows and NT clients.

IMHO these hybrid systems (like the Avion from Data General) that share
resources through hardware kludges are never that successful - too much
of a compromise. You'd end up with a 979/300 and a Pentium 75, while
standalone servers were running Pentium 400's.

Rather concentrate on optimising MPE for SMB connectivity, NT
friendliness, POSIX compliancy, MVS/VM co-existence, AS/400
interoperability. This would greatly ease the task of integrating these
legacy systems with the fabulous HP3000.

Regards

Neil Harvey