HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

From:
James Trudeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Trudeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 06:05:06 -0800
Howdy,

April 5, 1991 - flood.  Although the water did not rise high enough to
reach the disc drives it did take out the power distribution components
in the disc drive cabinet.  Cleaned up on Sunday, HP showed up on Monday
back on the air by 1:00 pm.  Printers? use a hair dryer to dry the
acoustic materials.  UPS? Nope drowned - plug 'er straight into the
wall.  Whoopee.

That wasn't the problem.  Facility management decided to impliment a
previously existing game plan to reconfigure *all* admin work areas
including the 3k.  The MIS manager had not a brain one so the
construction went ahead (use your imagination on what I had to say)
with no protection/consideration for the 3k.  Two weeks later HP
arrived to relocate the 935.  To the bill add 2 extra hours to remove
ceiling tile fragments, sheet rock dust, plain dust, sawdust, a bit
of remaining water, rat droppings(really!) from the ceiling and I
won't discuss the power scenario.  When they (HP) pulled the front
covers off the Eagle drives, there was so much accumulated "stuff"
that it fell from the filters of it's own weight.

The entire computer room was relocated (finally) and the HP 3K model
935 proceeded to provide unfailing service for another 2 years without
a single hardware failure until replaced with a 947.  In 16 years of
dealing with 3k's the only failures I've seen dealt with disc drives.

Eat yer liver big blue et al.

Ps. I'm open to suggestions (skip the scare stuff) to success in
    quitting smoking.

Regards,

Jim Trudeau                    *
Computer Sciences Corp         *
Harlingen, Texas               *      This space for rent
                               *
Voice:   (210) 430-7728        *
Fax:     (210) 412-8531        *
e-mail   [log in to unmask] *