HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 15:56:58 -5
> Date:    Mon, 17 Mar 1997 15:03:08 -500
> From:    Harry Weide <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: LaserROM Packaging
>
> Is anybody else out there as appalled as I am at the overpackaging
> of the HP LaserROM? I just got mine today. The shipment consisted
> of:

It isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, I think.  At one time I
used to open these things in front of the accounting staff just so
that everyone could enjoy the show.  It was like one of those
Russian stacking doll puzzles.  I agree, the packaging is
excessive.

MS ships their updates to the MSDN in a plastic sleeve contained
within a cardboard flat pack all wrapped in a fibreboard outer
package.  The finished pack is about 120 x 120 x 30 mm .  The
plastic sleeve doubles as a binder insert to hold the CD-ROM.

It did take MS about two years and a number of false starts to get
to the final form.  At one point I was receiving jewel cases of
various dimensions and capacities every month.  Single width
single platter, single width double platter, double width double
platter, double width quad platter, quad width eight platter.  I
never knew that jewel cases came in so many forms.

Regards,
Jim
---
James B. Byrne                  Harte & Lyne Limited
vox +1 905 561 1241             9 Brockley Drive
fax +1 905 561 0757             Hamilton, Ontario
[log in to unmask]           Canada  L8E 3C3