HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

From:
Steve Weisbrod <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Weisbrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 10:38:29 -0500
> Hsing Jung Du wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> > I have two questions:
> > 1) We acquired a set of HP959KS last October. It was perfect fast at
the
> >    beginning, but it seems to go more slowly as time goes by. I use
> > Glancexl
> >    to watch the system activities when users complaining the speed, but
> >    nothing special. I wonder if this "going slow" situation has
anything
> >    do with hard disc fragmentation?
<Snip>

Chris Wrote:

> I believe there is a disc defrag utility one or two people are making
> and marketing for the HP 3000.  As for your DBload and UNload if you use
> a product like DBGeneral, or Adadger they work far better then using
> DBloads, and UNloads, they also have some other tools to help speed
> database performance.  Also try storing stuff to tape, deleting the
> stuff on the disc and restoring.
>
> Although the new disc drives are the same ones you can buy for a PC, MPE
> is still controlling how stuff is stored on your disc's.  Make sure you
> have at least 20-25% of your total disc storage space free.
>
> May the force be with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The "going slow" could also be caused by a Master Data-set getting too
full. Look at your data-set capacities. The problem may be caused by a very
large, commonly used master data-set that is more than 80% full.

The same 3rd party data utilities (ADAGER and Dbgeneral) that can help with
De-Fragging can also assist with data-set capacity analysis and data-set
capacity changes.

If you'd like to "discuss" this further you can e-mail me direct at

Good Luck

Steve