HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

From:
"Chris V." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris V.
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 08:20:07 -0700
Hsing Jung Du wrote:

> Hi!
> I have two questions:
> 1) We acquired a set of HP959KS last October. It was perfect fast at the
>    beginning, but it seems to go more slowly as time goes by. I use
> Glancexl
>    to watch the system activities when users complaining the speed, but
>    nothing special. I wonder if this "going slow" situation has anything
>    do with hard disc fragmentation? (As you know, we would do hard disc
> re-
>    fragmentation for desktop PC periodically.)
> 2) This question comes from question 1. Does there exist any convenient
> tool
>    to do hard disc re-fragmentation for HP3000?
>    (DBUNLOAD and DBLOAD is slow and is for TurboImage dataset only.)
>
> Appreciate any suggestions!
>
> --
> Hsing-Jung Du
> Computer Center
> Orient Semiconductor Electronics, Limited
> Taiwan, R.O.C.

I believe there is a disc defrag utility one or two people are making
and marketing for the HP 3000.  As for your DBload and UNload if you use
a product like DBGeneral, or Adadger they work far better then using
DBloads, and UNloads, they also have some other tools to help speed
database performance.  Also try storing stuff to tape, deleting the
stuff on the disc and restoring.

Although the new disc drives are the same ones you can buy for a PC, MPE
is still controlling how stuff is stored on your disc's.  Make sure you
have at least 20-25% of your total disc storage space free.

May the force be with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!