HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 08:37:04 -0600
At 09:35 PM 3/11/97 GMT, Mark Schaffer wrote:
>I may be mistaken, but I thought I heard a rumor that HP would be
>incorporating some of the features found in some third-party indexing
>products (i.e. Bradmark's Superdex) into TurboImage.  Has anyone else heard
>this, or am I just dreaming?  If I'm not dreaming, has anyone heard of a
>time frame when this might be available?

HP is working on an enhancement to provide sorted sequential access, or
commonly referred to as 'b-trees', to IMAGE/SQL.  Anticipated release is
3Q97 with 5.5 Express 3.  The enhancement will provide partial key lookup,
range retrievals and sorted retrievals (ascending/decending) on IMAGE key
fields only.  There are a number of other features provided by 3rd party
products (i.e. SUPERDEX) which are not a part of HP's enhancement.
Furthermore, SUPERDEX does not have the limitations HP's implementation
imposes.

/jf