HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 23:28:03 -0500
I put 0.6 on a 3000 running 5.5 using the listener (haven't used under
INETD yet) and the performance is wonderful!

Opened documents with WordPad, Word95 and Word97, used a spooled LaserJet
printer to print the things, mapped several drive letters to shares and
used it from within a DOS box and a bunch of other things...Let's just say
that I showed it to a few friends using NetMeeting (over the Internet) -
yes, you can share apps with others over the 'net - complete with
whiteboard...and they were pretty impressed...

Let's just say that the drive mappings are permanent and reconnect at
bootup :-)

Great job, Lars (and others who may be in on this)...

One thing you might want to think about --- when making new releases, if
smb.conf already exists, don't overwrite or at least warn that it should
be backed up to another file either in the HFS or MPE filespace and copied
over the one installed.

Samba/iX 0.6 is really nice - I just felt that I needed to put an
"attaboy" out to those responsible <g>.

Joe
Joe Geiser
CSI Business Solutions
140 Bristol-Oxford Valley Road, Suite 102
Langhorne, PA 19047-3083
Toll Free (US/Canada): (888) 956-9812
[log in to unmask] (at work)
[log in to unmask] (at play)