HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

From:
Paul Krikorian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Krikorian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 07:42:14 -0800
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Gary Starr
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Have any of you successfully completed changes to your software to make it
>Year2000 compliant?  Were your estimates of the time and cost required to
>complete the project correct?  I'm trying to put together an estimate for my
>client and they're not comfortable with the estimating methods suggested by
>GartnerGroup. The scope of the current project is 100,000 lines of code, 80%
>COBOL, the rest Powerhouse.  The programs are fairly small, most under 2000
>lines.
>
>Gary Starr

I started analysis and modifications of our Personnel system at the
beginning of September 1996.  Working by myself, I was able to finish
all modifications to the system by mid-December 1996 (3 and 1/2 months).

Each program and job was unit tested as its modification was completed.
However, after all modifications were completed, I also performed two
weeks of parrallel testing of all our nightly scheduled batch runs.
That is, after the users were off each night, the data would be copied
to a test account, all conversion programs would be run, and all nightly
batch jobs run against the converted data.  The output from the actual
production run was then compared with the output from the test run.

The implementation was done over Friday night/Saturday morning span and
things have run pretty smooth since then.  Only a few forgotten control
cards that didn't get modified caused a some problems.

The Personnel system is written in COBOL and VIEW/3000 and uses a
mixture of KSAM files and TurboImage databases.  The system contained
around 35 different date fields.  The average lines of code is around
1,000 lines per program.  The system also consists of REPORT/3000
programs and INFORM/3000 reports.  I ended up having to modify 164 COBOL
programs, 13 REPORT/3000 programs, 80 COPYLIB modules, and 75 jobs
(JCL).  In addition, 9 one-time only conversion programs were written in
order to convert the data in 3 TurboImage database, 11 KSAM files and
numerous other flat MPE files.  Other modifications included TurboImage
database schemas, VIEW/3000 screen layout changes, definitions of date
fileds in DICT/3000 and the re-saving of any INFORM/3000 report that
used dates.

As a side note, I did not use any 3rd-party tools, just an in-house text
scanning program and a lot of manual analysis of file record layouts.

Hope this helps.
--
Paul Krikorian
Internet e-mail: paulk