HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 14:45:05 -0700
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>F. Alfredo Rego writes:
>> (1) What is the solution (it is so simple that you will cry when you hear
>> it; so simple that it had escaped a bunch of VERY knowledgeable systems
>> programmers).
>
>The simplest would be:
>
>        :ALTSEC newdbfile;COPYACD=olddbfile,FILENAME

This is superbly brilliant!

Being a programmer, I immediately fell for the INTRINSIC approach.  One
problem is that the intrinsic in question (has anyone figured it out yet?)
is "relatively" new and may not be available on older versions of Classic
MPE.  So, I cannot just call the intrinsic: I have to try a dynamic loading.

I had began a little research project to find out how far back such
intrinsic is supported by MPE.  Mark's disarmingly simple
COMMAND-INTERPRETER approach bypasses such pains.  I can certainly issue
the command (from CM or NM) and, if it fails, it is just tough luck and the
ACDs don't get copied.  No big deal.

This is the kind of solutions I like!  The KISS ("Keep It Simple, Stupid")
philosophy.  It's so difficult for us "tecchies" not to get carried away by
technology!

Mark: Your invitation to dinner now includes a wine that is a few notches
above the ordinary, unless you don't like wine, in which case you can go
for double dessert :-)

>This assumes that the way Adager creates the newdbfile before replacing the
>olddbfile is compatible with :ALTSEC.

I don't see how I could create the new file any other way.  Do you?

Alfredo