HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 11:07:46 -0800
Now that I have Samba/iX working on my HP3000/928. I have been giving it a
pretty good workout. I am using Samba/iX 0.5 on MPE/iX 5.0 and WFW 3.11 with
MS WORD 6.0

The first workout was to start copying multi gigabytes of data to and from
the 3k. Working pretty good as long as you avoid files with any non-standard
characters like "$" and "~" ect.... Also, we may have a performance issue
here in the near future! I wonder if the select() function has a problem that
may cause it waste CPU cycles.

The next workout was to move my "C:\NETSCAPE" directory to the 3k, which
includes about 50 Mb of old email folders not to mention the many "CACHE"
files used by the WEB browser. I know it's not practical to have my entire
"NETSCAPE" directory on a fileserver, but this is a great test for Samba
IMHO. All the email I receive now goes to files on the 3k through Samba :-)

The next workout was to copy all my MS WORD doc's to the 3k. MS WORD opens
these files on the 3k, no problem. However MS WORD is unable to write them
back to the 3k. I know at one point MS WORD failed to notice a word document
as a word document. It displayed a message that indicates that the doc was a
simple TEXT file and asked to convert it to be a word document. I'm not sure
what the problem is. The message displayed on the screen by WORD when
attempting to write "SAVE" to the 3k is:

"Word cannot save or create this file. Make sure the disk is not write
protexted."

It could be related to some invalid characters being used by MS WORD. HFS
file or directory names are limited, and can only include alphanumeric
characters (A-Z, a-z, 0-9) and the following special characters: dot (.)
underscore (_) hyphen (-) File or directory names cannot begin with a hyphen
(-). Is this somekind of standard, or is HP just being different?

Does any body know a work-around for this MS WORD problem?

TIA,

Michael Anderson
TIW Corporation, Inc.
Systems Programmer.