HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

From:
Cas Caswell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cas Caswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 11:31:17 PST
Greetings,

 There's a new remsh implementation available on Jazz.
 The older version allows you to implement
 the remsh daemon and tweak the remsh client as you like. The newer
 version is the client only and no source code is provided (it's already
 compiled and ready to run).

 So why take the new version?

 Many of you want a supported method of executing unix commands from a
 MPE/iX stream job. As such I'm hoping to get REMSH included with the next
 MIT as a supported product. While this version is not supported. It is
 the basis for the proposed supported module and will have the same
 behavior. Therefore if you're using this version, there should be little
 or no external change required when the supported version comes out.

 Who should NOT take the new version?

  Anyone expecting it to contain remshd.

  Anyone requiring rexec or rlogin functionality.
    I limited this functionality out because supporting rlogin, ie adding
    another method of supporting virtual terminals on the 3000 is too
    large a project to take on.

 As usual, this is unsupported software. I've tested it every way I can
 think of, and it seems to work fine on both 5.0 an 5.5. I'm interested in
 knowing about problems you might encounter. I won't guarantee timely
 fixes, but I am motivated to clean up any mess I might have left.

 So please have at it, and let me know what y'all think.

 Cas Caswell CSY
[log in to unmask] (Cas Caswell)   By the way: I said it, not my company.