HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 3

From:
Mike Paivinen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Paivinen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 19:20:40 GMT
Michael Hopper ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Without installing any new software, I need to be able to monitor
: a particular LDEV and log information about it.
: I already have a system in place that prevents unauthorized users
: from accessing the system through particular LDEVs.  (These devs
: corespond with satellite terminals that are in place at various
: points throughout our metro area, and access the system using 56k
: digital lines.)  But what I need now is a way to log the times
: when someone tries to access the system through any of these lines
: using an invalid sign-in.  Specifically, I need the date and time as well as
: the user name that was attempted, to be written to a file.

DISCLAIMER:  I'm away from my desk at the moment and can't fully confirm this
             answer.

The LOGON system logging record, record 102(?), should provide all the
information you want.  It records failed logon attempts as well as successful
logon attemps.  I'm not sure whether the log record gives you the invalid
user/account name attempted by the user.  [My memory says it does.]
Also, all invalid logon attempts are written to the console.  So, you
can get the same information from the console log records, 115.  The advantage
of the logon records is that you can search them by LDEV number.

Mike P.
Mike Paivinen

Hewlett-Packard
CSY - Mailstop 47UA