HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 2

From:
Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 07:20:58 -0800
Hi all :)
    Ok, as for labelling (sp) DAT tapes I just put the labels on the tapes and
give 'em numbers...3 digit numbers for the tapes used for the HP 3000 backups
and stores and 4 digit numbers for the tapes I use for the network back ups.

I then record the use of the tapes in two places... the tape library roster and
on a wall calendar.

The Wall Calendar is so that when I am not here someone can see what tape was
used last and what tapes to use that day for the back ups :)

Works ok for us :)
Art Bahrs
+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------+
| Oregon Health Sciences Foundation         |The views here are no one's,  |
| Art Bahrs, Manager of Information Services|  least of all, mine!         |
| President, HP Oregon Regional Users Group (ORERUG)                       |
+-------------------------------------------+------------------------------+
| And the men who hold high places must be the ones to start.              |
| [log in to unmask] 'The Professor' Work: (503) 220-8333 Fax: (503) 228-9588 |

Bruce Toback writes:
>1. Tape labels.
>
>On 9-track tape, we had a neat little interlock system to insure that
>every tape had a (human-readable) label, and that label was correct: when

We use small sticky notes to write the tape information (including the date
the tape was written) and place that on the tape after it is removed from
the DAT drive.  This is not a perfect replacement for your method because
the sticky note must be removed from the DAT tape before inserting in the
tape drive.  Hopefully you can adapt it for your needs.

>2. :STORE listings.
>
>Maybe this is an anachronism, but I always print a listing when I do a
>backup. With 9-track tapes, these were easy to store, but with DATs, the
>tapes and listings are always getting separated. The listings are most

Try keeping the STORE list on disc.  File equate the printed output to a
disc file with a name something like BKyyddd and be sure the paper label on
the tape has the same date code.

John Pearce  <[log in to unmask]>       | Bethesda Management Company
Speaking for only myself             | Colorado Springs, CO  USA