HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 2

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 23:08:11 -0500
----------
> From: Phil ESGUERRA <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Class "A" vs. Class "C"
> Date: Thursday, March 13, 1997 8:58 PM

<descriptive stuff snipped>

> Our firewalls are on the class C IP addresses.
>
> So the question is: Are there any reasons for us to convert to class C?
> I say that security is enhanced if we could remain in Class A, and
convert
> class C PCs to class A, and leave the Internet machines in class C.

Basically Phil, if you have everything behind the firewall, and they won't
be exposed to the 'net, then there's really no reason to change over.  As
a matter of fact, many ISPs who now get blocks of IPs to distribute to
their users (instead of getting them from InterNIC, which commonly refers
requesters to ISPs) are now asking users to do just this (use unregistered
IPs behind the firewall).  Anything outside the firewall must have a
registered IP, however...

So that's the long version.  The short version?  Why the heck not? :-)  As
long as they won't be exposed to the net, that is.

Best,
Joe
Joe Geiser
CSI Business Solutions
140 Bristol-Oxford Valley Road, Suite 102
Langhorne, PA 19047-3083
Toll Free (US/Canada): (888) 956-9812
[log in to unmask] (at work)
[log in to unmask] (at play)