HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:17:08 -0800
Jeff Kell writes:

> Michael I Yawn wrote:
>
> > I believe that you still have to use sfcntl() to get fcntl()
> > functionality on sockets.  The manual I have describes this
> > renaming as 'temporary', but temporary is a relative term.
>
> OK, so who do you have to be related to in order to get it fixed? :-)

Indeed.  This is one of those annoying POSIX smoothing issues.  sfcntl() is
the *only* non-standard socket function.  Do the right thing, HP, and merge it
into the standard fcntl() function.  This will make FastCGI happy, because
it tries to call fcntl() on a descriptor that may be either a socket or a pipe,
and there is no easy way of knowing which type the descriptor is at run time.

After I converted FastCGI to just call sfcntl, I then discovered a bug where
you can sfcntl(F_SETFL) to turn on O_NONBLOCK, but you can't F_SETFL to turn
it off.  My HPRC call about this is still open, and if the us-support web
site weren't unavailable as I type this at 1715 UTC March 5th, I would be able
to mention the call ID in this message.....
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/