HP3000-L Archives

March 1997, Week 1

From:
Al Ankers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al Ankers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 10:42:11 -0500
>Date:    Wed, 12 Feb 1997 10:55:15 -0400
>From:    Jon Diercks <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: TurboSTORE :RESTORE bug?
>
>I've encountered a rather disturbing behavior from TurboSTORE:
>
>:restore *t;bogus.file.name;local;keep;show
>          >> TURBO-STORE/RESTORE  VERSION  C.55.07  B5152AA  <<
>                    (C) 1986 HEWLETT-PACKARD CO.
>
>RESTORE  *t;bogus.file.name;LOCAL;KEEP;SHOW
>
>WED, FEB 12, 1997, 10:10 AM
>
>BOGUS.FILE.NAME NOT RESTORED: FILE NOT FOUND ON MEDIA
>
>DATABASE INFORMATION:
>
>TURBOIMAGE DATABASE: XYZDB   .GROUP    .ACCOUNT
>FILES RESTORED :                                   9864
>FILES FAILED TO RESTORE :                            17
>
>ALLBASE/SQL DATABASE: MYDBE   .DBX     .ACCT
>FILES RESTORED :                                     -1
>FILES FAILED TO RESTORE :                             4
>
>... (several other records similar to above, all for databases which exist
>on my system, but none with any file counts that make sense) ...
>
>FILES RESTORED :                               0
>FILES NOT ON MEDIA :                           1

Sorry about the late response on this thread but I'm still getting over the
shock of getting this message on my system on February 11, 1997. Like you I
found that this message did not do what it says, which was " I just wiped
out your all your databases in production for the last 24 hours, just
before your normal backup, so call your users and tell them they have to do
all of yesterday's work AGAIN!!!".

Now I've been in DP for 30+ years and this was my closest heart failure!
Retireing from DP on December 31, 1999 is now becoming more of a reality!

HP does have this as a BUG in the software thanks to those of us who
survived.

It does appear to occur if the file being requested is not on the tape in
the drive. Anyway I just wanted to post this message to comfort any future
recepients of this bogus console message. We are running 5.5.

Al Ankers
Data Processing Manager
Southeastern Public Service Authority of Virginia
PO Box 1346
Chesapeake, Virginia 23327-1346
(757) 399-8924
(757) 397-7678