HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 4

From:
Holger Wiemann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Holger Wiemann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 20:09:39 +0100
Hi all,

did you ever ask yourself why there's a CD ROM drive at your HP3000
and you cannot use it for more than to do updates and the now
obsolete LaserRom with CD Extension/iX software?

What about using data original designed for UX or DOS/Windows systems?

FYI, I've put a tool called CDCOPY to

ftp://ftp.3k.com/POSIX (thanks to Chris Bartram)

which allows you to list and copy single files or the whole contents
of an ISO9660 formatted CD ROM directly to your MPE/iX file system.
It recognizes DOS and UX file systems on CD ROM and cares about
POSIX file name convention.

In directory mentioned above you'll find the mover truck file
'CDCOPYMV'.

This is not a commercial tool, just a prototype which shows, that there
is a way to use data from a wide spreaded cheap media equipment.

My dream is to develope an application, which allows you to MOUNT
the CD ROM directly to the filesystem without copying anything,
but there is much to do and I haven't the little time to implement it
while working time.

Feel free to test it, best regards

Holger Wiemann
HP Response Center, Germany