HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 4

From:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 16:08:03 -0800
Mark,

As with any performance question, the answer it "It depends"!  Before you
can decide whether or not you can put the 11th drive on the channel, you
have to see how much demand the other devices put on the channel.  If you
look at the sustained disk I/O rate on any given disk drive, you are
probably sustaining only 1-5 I/O's per second (that's common but, YMMV).
Adding it all up would indicate a maximum sustained disk I/O rate on
the channel of only 50 I/O's per second.  However, this is only the
high average sustained I/O rate.  You need to look at burst activity.
If your burst activity is significantly higher, you may run into periodic
disk I/O problems.  This will most likely occur during a transaction
manager checkpoint post to disk.

You may very will be able to live with the results.  Remember, that HP's
performance recommendations are always inherently conservative.  The
channel can handle approximately 150 I/O's per second.

Chances are you will probably be ok with 11 but, "It depends"!

Bill Lancaster

>We're considering adding additional disk drives to our 969KS200.
Presently we