HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 4

Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 18:09:50 CST
Hi, Sayee.

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997 10:42:57 GMT, Nemasayee V <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
|There is a need to port MPE based application (MPE/ALLBASE/SQL) to
|UNIX. The idea is to avoid/minimize the code change. So, I want your
|ideas/suggestions to find out whether
|
|        1 . any utilities are available or not to convert MPE JCLs to
|            Unix Scripts and
|        2 . any functions/calls are available or not to convert MPE
|            intrinsics to C functions(Unix).

I don't know whether it's still available or not, but 5 years ago a company
in Chico, California called Bi-Tech provided a set of tools to port MPE
applications written in COBOL to HP-UX with minimal porting effort.  A
project I worked on for a customer of theirs prompted them to add Pascal as
another language they supported (at least for that project) in this manner.

Bi-Tech's tools in this area provided both an MPE-CI-like shell on HP-UX and
many of the MPE intrinsics (including VPLUS and Image) emulated on HP-UX.
For example, the Image API was built on top of Informix/Online; the KSAM API
was built on top of Informix-ISAM; and the VPLUS API was built on top of
Curses (as best I recall).  Many of the common MPE intrinsics were supported
including the file system calls (including message file support), the SORT
intrinsics, and selected FCONTROL modes.  While an impressive amount of the
MPE API was supported, much was not available too.  We had them add support
for SORT, message files, Pascal, some new FCONTROL modes, Image optimizations
and (I believe) NM-KSAM support.

I don't have their number or address handy, but they were primarily an HP
reseller bunding HP3000, HP9000, and other machines with their turn-key
accounting system for the non-profit/government-agency vertical market.

P.S.  My contact with Bi-Tech as a customer is via a prior employer.
      To my knowledge Unison Software has no products ported with Bi-Tech
      tools, although several of Unison's products originally written for
      MPE are now available in native implementations on HP-UX and other
      platforms.
--
Jeff Woods
[log in to unmask] at Unison Software

"I hate quotations."  --  Ralph Waldo Emerson