HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 4

From:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:51:43 EST
Stan writes:

>BTW, if writing an ONLINE program, note that some versions of MPE/iX
>had an incorrect definition of HPDEVCONTROL in the intrinsics file,
>and that some (all?) versions of HPDEVCONTROL have various bugs that
>can result in odd results.

Um, seeing as how I wrote my own ONLINE program using HPDEVCONTROL,
which we rely on in our production environment, could you disclose
what the bugs are and what versions have these bugs?

>puts the tape online *and* waits for automatic volume recognition to
>finish.  If you don't want the AVR part, grab the non-privileged

Oh, and by the way, would you like to explain to the uninitiated (that's
me) what waiting for the AVR does?  I checked my utility using SHOWDEV.
With a tape loaded, but offline, SHOWDEV 7 gives:

:SHOWDEV 7
 LDEV     AVAIL         OWNERSHIP         VOLID         DEN   ASSOCIATION

    7     AVAIL

Immediatley after running my ONLINE utility:

:SHOWDEV 7
 LDEV     AVAIL         OWNERSHIP         VOLID         DEN   ASSOCIATION

    7     UNAVAIL       SYS

Repeated SHOWDEV's finally give:

:SHOWDEV 7
 LDEV     AVAIL         OWNERSHIP         VOLID         DEN   ASSOCIATION

    7     AVAIL    (W)                    (Nolabel)     1600

Is this what you mean by waiting for AVR?  Does your utility not
return until the tape is ready to be written to/read from?

Thanks, inquiring minds want to know!

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: (330) 527-2124                   P. O. Box 285
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   Garrettsville, Ohio  44231