HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 4

Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 17:18:44 CST
On Fri, 28 Feb 1997 16:09:25 -0600, Gary Groves <[log in to unmask]> asked:
|I am attempting to copy a file from an MPE/ix  machine to a DAT tape.
|The tape will then be mailed to another site. This site has an NT box.
|The NT machine can't read the tape (surprise). Is there a way to create
|the tape (from my 3000) in a way that the NT box will recognize?

tar?

#set TOPIC-TANGENT on
Speaking of which, I have been looking for a tolerably decent (and hopefully
freeware) tar implementation which will run under Win95 and/or NT and/or
Win3.1 and/or DOS 6 and which supports SCSI DDS drives via ASPI drivers.
So far my quest for such a beast has turned up many sad imitations and
several "near misses", but none that seem to be viable.  If anyone has one
they would recommend or a pointer where to look for such a thing I would
appreciate it.  I have seen a few commercial products that add fancy GUI
interfaces and such, but that is overkill for my occasional use.  BTW, this
is for my personal use.  (I haven't looked in NT yet as I have not yet
installed it at home, but I'm about to and if my tar access only works under
NT, that's fine.)

TIA,
--
Jeff Woods
[log in to unmask] at Unison Software

"If there are obstacles, the shortest line between two points
 may be the crooked line."  --  Bertolt Brecht (1898-1956)