HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 4

Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 11:09:41 -0500
I assume that the major criterion for setting up volumesets will be
application related.  I include development and testing as applications.
 All of the groups and accounts for a particular application will be
groups on the same volumeset.

I would suggest that third-party software that is used by only a single
application can be put on the same volumeset as the application.  Any
third-party software that is used by more than a single application must
be on the MPEX_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET (whew!) or grouped on a third-party
volumeset.  The latter route may be costly if the smallest drive is a
large capacity drive 2Gb or greater as all of the third-party software
may occupy only a fraction of the drive.

Most third-party accounts are static.  CCC, for example, is not as both
Maestro and Spoolmate create logfiles with every cycle, and this can
mount up quickly with no automated way of which I am aware to keep them
in check. New releases of the software often come in a test account or
test group.  This could be a serious problem in the
MPEX_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET.

Leonard Berkowitz
RIA Group (Warren, Gorham & Lamont)
617-292-8349 (E. S. T.)