HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 3

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 21 Feb 1997 20:31:59 -0500139_ISO-8859-1 seems to me i had a similar problem a long while back...make sure the
record size of the stream file is larger than 133 bytes43_21Feb199720:31:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:55:34 -0400
 In <H000006600183d98@MHS> [log in to unmask] writes:

> Bruce writes:
> > So even the email headers don't tell the whole story, if the spammer is
> > using some innocent site as a "blind drop" for mail. And incidentally,
> > this is a good reason not to shotgun off 200 replies: you may well end up
> > hitting the victim rather than the target.
>
> This seems to be a growing problem.  I've heard of a number of cases
> like this recently where the spammers pick some poor site at random
> and suddenly forward 100,000 email messages through that site.  In
> some cases the spammers may refuse to stop even when contacted while
> the spamming is in progress.  Now THIS is a practice that I would
> like to see become a federal crime! (Explicitly that is, since it's
> probably already covered by some computer crime laws as theft of
> services)

Take it from one who has recently tried to invoke law enforcement on
'net interlopers - hang it up. Unless you can quote damages in 5+ digits,
they don't have time to pursue "small potatoes".

                 -Chris Bartram