HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 12:47:44 -0500
Larry Byler wrote:

> Jeff Kell has pointed out a bug in PCLLP[D].  I won't try to explain it
> here, but the problem (and viable workarounds) are described in SR
> 4701-338301.  If any of you are interested, and do not have access to the
> SR (it should be in your SSB), e-mail me and I'll send you a copy.

If you use COBOL print files with LINEAGE clauses, your output won't
line up (hey Larry, my summary is shorter than your disclaimer :-) ).

And as a follow-up to the original PENV file question, if you have
any Formation PENV files (which can be 2680 environments, but can
also have LaserJet PCL setup sequences in them, so you might get
into a mindset that PENV=LaserJet PCL, which isn't true) they will
*almost* work with network printers, but there are some caveats.
The HP network printer ENV= files are raw PCL and detected by the
spooler driver; the Formation PENV type ENV= files cause raw PCL
to be emitted into the spool file at FOPEN time.  Same with ESPUL's
"special" ENV= files for LaserJets.  Neither are "detected" by the
network printer driver, and thus if you have applications which
start their output with a formfeed, you get an extra blank page.

The differences are (if I'm wrong, Larry will correct me) that a
traditional PENV file is a "special" entry in the spool file with
the filename of the PENV file, while some others (Formation) trap
the FOPEN and insert the raw PCL into the spool file itself.
Formation does this; standard PENV files and TTYPE files are done
with just the filename.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>