HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Larry Byler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Byler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 23:15:54 GMT
Lars Appel ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Donna Garverick wrote:

[...]

: > my other question is about those pesky 'env' files.  i've got a couple
: > of files defined thru ttutil but i keep seeing all those 'penv' in the
: > hpenv group and wondering just what they are, if i can use them, if i
: > can 'look' at them (with something like a ttutil), if i can design my
: > own, if i should just leave well enough alone (:-)

: Those PENV files are, as far as I understand "environment files" used
: with the old style 2680 Laser printers (or was is 2608 ?) and won't
: apply to JetDirect printers. I do not know how to view or edit those
: PENV files, maybe with IFS/IDS (spelling?).

2680 is correct.  You are also correct that filecode PENV files do not
apply to network printers.  You can view/modify PENV files with
IFS.PUB.SYS.  Better have your IFS manual handy; there's no online help.

[...]

: I think there are some examples HPPCL@ in HPENV.SYS but forgot what
: they exactly do. Maybe try PRINTing them with "display function mode"
: or else display with FCOPY;HEX;CHAR or (in the shell) with od (octal
: dump, but has hex or char options).

The five files (all in HPENV.SYS) are PCLELITE, PCLELITD, PCLLP, PCLLPD,
and PCLPOST.  PCLELIT[ED] are single-sided and duplex versions of a
portrait mode, 8-1/2" x 11" 12-pitch fixed font environment.  PCLLP[D]
are similar files for landscape mode using a 60 line-per-page, 132
characters-per-line model with (just under) 1/2" borders.  These four
files are PCL files; the only funny character in them is the ^[ (Esc)
character at the start of each line.  Display Functions works.  If you
have HPEDIT, it displays this character as an inverse video [.

PCLPOST is an ASCII (PJL) file that places PostScript-compatible printers
in that personality for printing PostScript files.

Jeff Kell has pointed out a bug in PCLLP[D].  I won't try to explain it
here, but the problem (and viable workarounds) are described in SR
4701-338301.  If any of you are interested, and do not have access to the
SR (it should be in your SSB), e-mail me and I'll send you a copy.

-Larry "MPE/iX Spoolers 'R' Us" Byler-