HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 21:07:04 -0600
Re: (34 lines)
[snip]
> Why wouldn't you want to develop new applications in IMAGE on the
HP3000? The
> question that is clearly on everyone's mind is: what is the long-term
future
> of the HP3000? How committed is HP to the HP3000?

[snip many fine comments]
> Wirt Atmar

   Others have suggested, and as far as I know it makes sense, that the
question to ask is how committed to the HP3K are the major players using
it today? The fate of the HP3K is in the hands of it's major users, more
than anyone else, else why does CSY focus so intensely on customer
satisfaction? Thus, the reason CSY isn't focusing on porting MPE

   What HP can and should contribute is a rational and effective
marketing effort that leverages the HP3K strengths. They seem to be
beginning to address this area.

   The other *major* effort HP can and should contribute is to develop
software partners (especially the small partners looking for a platform
to help differentiate their software products and that may become the
next "best in class" application in the future). Unfortunately, HP does
not appear to want to deal with this area. However to the good, the HP3K
user community porting efforts and the availability of lower priced used
HP3k machines does help.

Richard Gambrell
Information Technology Center, Xavier University of Louisiana
vist us at http://www.xula.edu/
email: [log in to unmask]