HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 14:35:54 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Mel Rees <[log in to unmask]>
writes
>Hello Everyone,
>
>I know the ENV files have changed in 5.5 for the new LAN based
>printers.  However, we have run into an interesting problem that you
>all may be interested in.
>
>If you use a backreference to your ENV file, it will not work on 5.5
>but works fine on 5.0.  Here's an example:
>
>       file myenv=tt22.pub.sys
>       file p;dev=lp;env=*myenv
>       listf @,2;*p
>
>       ...   this fails to place an ENV file in the spoolfle.
>However, it works OK on 5.0.

Yeah.. it comes and goes with each new release!

Seriously, though, I had a customer with this problem on an earlier MPE
(2.0? 3.0? 4.0? can't recall) when our machine, on nominally the same
release, worked OK. Caused mucho grief finding it, as you can imagine.

HP eventually fixed it, but it looks like one of those things where
there is an inherent underlying weakness, just waiting to poke through
again. Classification: AWTH.

So, memo to HP: Test *ENV explicitly, on every new release!
--
Roy Brown               Phone : (01684) 291710     Fax : (01684) 291712
Affirm Ltd              Email : [log in to unmask]