HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 11:13:58 -0500
----------
> From: Mel Rees <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: HP Software Support Contract Question
> Date: Tuesday, February 04, 1997 6:15 AM
>
> >Another question concerns getting the documentation on CD-ROM.  We used
> >get our documentation this way several years ago, but had dropped
support on
> >it.  If we start getting documentation on CD-ROM again, do we have to
buy
> >the searching software for the pc again, or will the current LaserRom
discs
> >work with the old search software?  I told the lady I'd call my HP
sales rep
> >about getting the new searching software for the pc, but she told me to
call
> >a HP var instead.  Doesn't HP sell small ticket items themselves
anymore?

You're speaking of LaserROM, which as of 5.0, does not require separate
client access licenses.  You can pop it into a server-based (or "shared")
CDROM drive, and all of your technical people can access it from their
desktops without paying by the seat.

One "gotcha" about LaserROM though --- after installing it on a client (a
PC), you will need to open a DOS window and add:

     SET FULTEMP=<somedir>

such as

     SET FULTEMP=C:\TEMP

and then reboot your system.  The setup program does not do this for you
(as it should, as well as it should also ask to reboot your system for you
like other Windows setup programs do, but it's a small annoyance)...

Best
Joe Geiser

Joe Geiser
CSI Business Solutions