HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 02:08:16 -0500
Rick Clark writes:

> To stray a little off course here from the list, could anyone direct us
towards
>  some web site development lists. We are in the process of developing our
web
>  site, along with a few related ones, and really need to get as much info
as
>  possible.  Thanks in advance.

If you mean "lists", as in listservers, I personally don't know of any.
However everything about HTML is so simple that I don't believe that you'll
need one. The first, great resource that you'll find handy for putting a web
page together is a "Beginner's Guide to HTML", published by the NCSA. The
Guide's URL is at:

http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimer.html

The second, great source of information are the web pages themselves.
Netscape (more than Internet Explorer and AOL) allows you to very easily see
the source code and information about the page's graphics. And all three
browsers allow you grab graphics that you like directly off of the web page
(by clicking the right mouse button when pointing at a graphic) and store
them for your own personal use in your web page [however, I don't recommend
doing that for the great majority of images that you encounter simply because
many (if not most) of these images are copyrighted and have a fee associated
with them].

However, that doesn't mean you can't steal the style of the webpages that you
like. In Hollywood, this is an ancient and time-honored tradition -- and is
called creating an "homage" :-).

Nor do you need an HTML editor to create a web page. HTML is simple enough to
learn that you can create your web pages using the simplest of editors. Our
own web page (http://aics-research.com), which is taking forever to get up
simply because of its backburner status, is being put together wholly using
only Notepad, the extremely simple text editor that is supplied on all
Windows-based machines. Look around our pages and steal what you like. I
certainly did from others.

You can steal a web page design by simply selecting "Document Source" in the
"View" menu of Netscape. Once the source is up on the screen, select all of
the text by dragging the I-bar across the text with the mouse down. Now that
the text has been selected, press Control-C to copy the text into the
clipboard and open a new copy of Notepad. Once there, press Control-V to
paste the source into Notepad (or any other editor of your choice). Save the
file as a name of your choosing on your PC or Mac. Now point your browser to
this newly named file -- and voila, instant web page (of course, you'll
probably want to change the text and the graphics, but that is actually a
relatively minor step).

Once this "instant" web page file is transferred to your web server, you're
on-line big-time.

Our slowness in getting our web page up and finished is not due to the
difficulty of using HTML. Indeed, once we decided how we wanted our web page
to look, using Notepad is probably much faster than using one of the
commercial HTML editors. It is certainly more free form. We are not
constrained to any pre-designed formats. The delay at our end has resulted
solely from deciding what is to be said, deciding where the graphics are to
come from, and finding time to do it.

Best of luck,

Wirt Atmar