HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
"SIMPKINS, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
SIMPKINS, Terry
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 14:27:00 GMT
Denys posted yesterday dealing with NT and Yr2000.
While in the UK this week, I noticed an article from one of the "computer
rags", about a year old, posted on a bulletin board, with this headline:
"Microsoft confesses DOS will cause chaos in the year 2000"

It got my attention.  This article says:
 -  versions of DOS before release 5.0 don't support the year 2000
 -  some versions of Access, Excel & Projects don't support the year 2000
  (it was unclear which versions are "safe" and which are not)

I suggest you include PCs in your test plans.

I know some of you are about to hurt yourselves laughing, thinking that
anyone is still running DOS 3.3, 4.0, etc.
But have you checked all of those little test rigs sitting on the factory
floor?  Or what about the dedicated units in the lab?  And, what about your
employees who have old machines at home who don't have the $ or inclination
to buy "Bill the G" a new painting for his house?????

Terry Simpkins