HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Lee Gunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 13:58:41 -0800
Subject: [HP3000-L] A couple of questions from a newbie (still)
Author:  Eric Buttrum <[log in to unmask]> at ~INTERNET
Date:    2/3/97 2:29 PM

Hi,
I have a couple of questions that I need help with.

1.) I have an IEM tape changer scsi tape drive connected to our 987sx via
    a separate scsi card.  This tape was connected to an interface box that
    converted hpib to scsi.  This interface box handle all the tape requests
    such as "change the tape", etc.  When I connected it to the scsi
    interface directly I had to use devctrl.mpexl.telesup utility to change
    the ldev, for the tape drive, to enable eject the tape when anew tape is
    required.  The small amount of documentation that IEM gave me, said that
    this is only needed to be done once.  This is not true.  Everytime that
    the system is shutdown and then re-started, I have to re-run the
    above mentioned utility.  Has anyone had experinence with this or am
    I missing a step after running the devctrl utility such as going into
    sysgen and saving the configuration.

>>  You are correct in that DEVCTRL must be rerun after a system start.  You
    could incorporate the command into a SYSSTART file, or, as we do, make it
    a part of a udc to start system functions instead of a SYSSTART file.
    SYSGEN doesn't preserve these states (autoeject, compression).

2.) Are there any manuals online, at any of the HP websites that are
    available for downloading and printing.  I am looking for a manual for
    the Envizex a Series terminals.

>>  I'm not aware of any ... anyone else ???

3.) I am going to apply the patch NSTEDC9A, to fix a problem with the
    NS/3000 services on our 987sx. I was going to apply powerpatch 6.0, but
    I was told that powerpatch 6.0 does not incorporate the above mentioned
    patch into.  I want to also apply powerpatch 6.0.  Should the patches be
    applied in a certain order or does it not matter?

>>  Check with the Response Center re: the hierarchy for this patch.  If it
    supercedes or was developed after PowerPatch 6 was released, then the
    PowerPatch should be applied, first, followed by this reactive patch.

4.) Is there available detailed explanation for everything involved in
    downloading a patch from HP, uploading it to the HP3000 that it will
    be applied to, and then unpacking and applying the patch to MPE/iX.  The
    documentation that is available, when downloading a patch, for me has
    left alot of wholes in the process required.

>>  HP's Electronic Support Center Patch Database is all that I'm aware of.
    I've not yet downloaded and applied any patches, and I understand that some
    problems exist trying to download and format the 'unpackp' command file
    properly (I have tried that, and it's messy!).  Again, check with the
    Response Center, or perhaps someone else on this list has a solution.

Thank-you,