HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Bruce Senn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 09:36:42 -0500
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> Let's start with HP.  We pay $ each month so I can call the response
> center and educate their people.  Here's an example:  This week, after
> upgrading to 5.5, we got the infamous spooler message after each spool
> file printed.  I need the patch that fixes it.  I call the response
> center and tell the person who answers "I've just upgraded to MPE/iX
> 5.5 and I'm getting erroneous spooler errors".
>
> HP: "Did you say spooler?  How do you spell that?"
>
> ME: (sarcasticly) "S - P - O - O - L - E - R"
>
> HP: "And what kind of errors are you getting?"
>
> ME: "The last name component of the pathname does not exist in the
> directory.  HP Directory message 1".
>
> HP: (slowly) "The.....last......name....  . . ."
>
> HP: "Is this a software problem or a hardward problem?"
>
> ME: "Software"
>
> HP: "What version of the operating system are you running?"
>

> This is the exchange almost verbatim.  Now, I know its impossible for
> everyone to know everything (even about the HP3000), but sadly, this
> type of thing has become almost commonplace at HP.  It didn't always
> use to be this way.  You used to be able to reach at least semi-
> knowledgable people on the first try.  In this case, I did finally
> get someone who knew exactly what patch I needed and sent it out
> post haste.  Oh well <sigh>.

I've never been particularly concerned about the initial call taking
process.  As long as the person can take enough information to get my
problem to the right people and as long as I get a timely callback, I
am satisfied.  By the way, compared to other vendors, the HP call takers
are just about the best.  They are efficient, polite, professional,
and courteous.

I especially appreciate HP after placing a call to Oracle, which takes
about 20 minutes with the call at MY expense.  I also appreciate HP after
the initial message from DEC says, all lines are busy, the wait to
place your call is expected to be 15 minutes.

My $ .02.

Bruce.

   Bruce J. Senn                             Phone:  (518) 388-6664
   Senior System Manager                     FAX:    (518) 388-6458
   Union College                   Internet:  [log in to unmask]
   Schenectady, NY 12308