HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 16:28:43 -0800
Stan Sieler writes:
> Mark writes:
> > 6) When using READX or FREAD to read from a pipe, when the pipe is empty you
> > start getting CCE length=0 forever for all future calls.  Seems to me you
> > should get CCG (EOF).  Bug.
>
> No, you should either hang until data is available *or* get CCE/length=0
> ...IF there is still a writer associated with the pipe.
> If there is no writer associated with it, I'd expect to get CCG (EOF).

In my test scenario of:

        callci showme | FDTEST | cat -

FDTEST's input pipe should be closing rather quickly after the last line of
showme output is read, but a "while CCODE = CCE" loop cycles infinitely with
CCE/length=0.

I'll re-test the input pipe case with a big pause in the middle of whatever
is feeding the pipe to see if there's a hang or whether it's CCE/length=0.

> > and PRINT without PM.
>
> Agreed.
>
> (English is ambiguous at times...I'm assuming the "should be able to" above
> means "it isn't possible now, but it ought to have been"
> as opposed to:  "it is possible now")

My command of computer languages frequently exceeds my command of the English
language.  ;-)

What I meant to say is:

and PRINT without PM.

This actually works as expected (well, there's that CCE/length=0 issue I need
to look at further...).
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/