HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 15:46:32 -0800
Mark writes:

> 2) Some intrinsics like PRINTFILEINFO don't recognize fnum 0 as being valid.  I
> count this as a bug.

Agreed.

> 6) When using READX or FREAD to read from a pipe, when the pipe is empty you
> start getting CCE length=0 forever for all future calls.  Seems to me you
> should get CCG (EOF).  Bug.

No, you should either hang until data is available *or* get CCE/length=0
...IF there is still a writer associated with the pipe.
If there is no writer associated with it, I'd expect to get CCG (EOF).

Why?  Because if there is a writer, then you can't say there won't be any
more data, which is what EOF means.

This is like message files, but message files allow the programmer to
choose whether a read on an empty file (that still has a writer) hangs
or comes back with a warning/error.

> and PRINT without PM.

Agreed.

(English is ambiguous at times...I'm assuming the "should be able to" above
means "it isn't possible now, but it ought to have been"
as opposed to:  "it is possible now")

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html