HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Lee Gunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 11:52:44 -0800
Hi, Pat,

We're using the model 3230 array on our 996-500 running 5.0 with
PowerPatch 6.  This is the minimum recommended release level to support
these devices, although 5.5 PowerPatch 1 is the
"HP-officially-supported" version.  The only reason we went to the 3230
and not a 3500 was due to the access limitations for our data center -
i.e., elevator and entry door size.  We purchased the minimum
configuration - 134Gb raw (67Gb usable) using 4Gb devices and 512Mb
cache - with an upgrade path to ~400Gb raw.  The devices are connected
via 4 FW-SCSI channels, 4 devices per channel, and are configured as
HPDARRAY device types.  I believe that 5.5 will include a more specific
driver, but don't quote me!  :)

There are limitations for diagnostic support from the HP3000 if you run
the Symmetrix array on a C.50.06 (5.0/PP6) release, but all the
hardware support comes from EMC, anyway, and the dial-home capability
of the array is a real plus, as I'm sure you're aware.

From the documentation I have:

HP3000 hosts supported:  9x8, 9x9KS, 99x, 987RX, 987/150RX, 987/200RX
     987SX, 987/150SX, 987/200SX

Hardware requirements:   HP-PB 28696A FWD SCSI interface card
  (all above hosts)         (HSC FWD interface not supported)

                         cables supplied by EMC

Differences between MPE/iX OS releases:

FUNCTIONALITY       MPE/iX 5.0 PP6 &         MPE/iX 5.5 w/PP1
-------------       MPE/iX 5.5 w/o PP1       ----------------
                    ------------------

Multi-LUN config         No                  Yes

> 4GB LUNs               No                  Yes

> 9GB LUNs               No                  No

IOMAP Product ID         HPDARRAY            SYMMETRIX

SYSMAP recognizes        No                  Yes

Environment field
Replacement errors
returned to host *       No                  Yes

Predictive Support       N/A                 N/A

*  Prior to MPE/iX with PowerPatch 1, notice of Environment Replacement
errors is achieved through the EMC modem intreface and reported
directly to the EMC Response Center.

Supported functionality for HP3000 servers:

FUNCTIONALITY            SUPPORTED?          AVAILABILITY?
-------------            ----------          -------------
Boot                     Yes                 Today
Switchover               No                  No
MC/ServiceGuard          No                  No (HP-UX only)
MC/Lockmanager           No                  No (HP-UX only)
Mirrored Disk/iX         Yes                 Today
Hardware Mirroring       Yes                 Today
SharePlex/iX             No                  No
Raid-S                   Yes                 Today
Raid-3                   No
SRDF Locally unprot.     Yes                 Today
Hot swap                 Yes                 Today (been there, done that)  :)
Hot Firmware D'load      Yes                 Today
Automatic Failover       No                  Under Investigation

As usual, much of this info may have been outdated or updated, and you should
check with your EMC and/or HP sales reps to verify any and all of it!

I hope this helps.

Lee Gunter          [log in to unmask]
HMO Oregon