HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 15:36:06 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
writes

>The next movie based on a book from one of the main SF authors is "Starship
>Troopers" from Robert A. Heinlein.  This is one of my most favorite (!!!)
>books ever and I look forward to/dread the release of the movie.  If done
>well, it could be excellent.  The only other book from Heinlein made into a
>movie is "The Puppet Masters" about 2-3 years back.  It was somewhat faithful
>to the book.

There is a film called 'Killdozer', about an alien intelligence which
takes over an earthmoving machine on a remote construction site, with
deleterious effects for the humans involved. That was from a Heinlein
short story. My Maltin's at home with my Cinema '96, but I'm sure you
can look it up.

My 'most wanted/dreaded' is a film of his Stranger In a Strange Land,
but I guess it won't happen.

BTW< I tell people coming into computing, that even if you 'don't like
science fiction', and if you read nothing else of his, read
Heinlein's'The Roads Must Roll'. Best introduction ever written to the
ethos of tech support, IMHO. The story was actually based around an
imagined system of moving pedestrian walkways, but it's right on the
nail for computer support too.
--
Roy Brown               Phone : (01684) 291710     Fax : (01684) 291712
Affirm Ltd              Email : [log in to unmask]