HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
"Gary L. Biggs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary L. Biggs
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 16:41:16 -0600
Yes, all my clients can browse from network neighborhood.
We click on Workgroup and after a few seconds the host
name of our 3k appears. Click on the 3K and you can see and browse
the shares. The only problem I get is that our domain name
is Performing_tech. Samba truncates it after the underscore.

As for setting it up:

I copied it to SAMBA.SYS and added PM just as Lars describes for SMBD.

In SERVICES.NET.SYS, I added:

nmbp         137/udp                 # SAMBA Name Service  << -- New
smbp         139/tcp                 # SAMBA
DAServer     987/tcp                 # SQL distributed access

and for INETDCFG.NET.SYS:

nmbp         dgram  udp wait   MANAGER.SYS /SYS/SAMBA/NMBD nmbd
smbp         stream tcp nowait MANAGER.SYS /SYS/SAMBA/SMBD smbd

Note that it is wait, not nowait on the nmbp line.

I am running mpe 5.5 with the powerpatch.

At 01:19 PM 2/6/97 -0800, Michael L Gueterman wrote:
>Gary,
>
>  Are you able to browse the 3000 via the Network Neighborhood or
>via the command line 'net view' command?  So far I've only been able
>to "see" the system if I use the Find...Computer screen, or if I explicitly
>issue a NET VIEW \\3000host command.  Since these actions only require
>SMBD, I'm sure I don't have NMBD setup right (although it does correctly
>acquire the list of hosts in the domain.  I can tell that by examining the
>BROWSE.DAT file it creates).  As far as the 11 character limit, I don't
>know, but I'll have a look as soon as I get it 'correctly' working :)
>
>Regards,
>Michael

Gary L. Biggs, N5TTO
Interex SIG Allbase Chair

"Abandon all hope, Ye who Inter(net) here" --
Dante, over the portal(router) to Hell