HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
Tracy DeDore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy DeDore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 16:49:09 PST
Hi All,

Yes, HP Marketing lurks around quietly behind the HP3000-L list...
Until now... I felt compelled to respond to the attached message from
Joe Geiser and Craig Vespe since my name was called out, and take this
opportunity to set the record straight regarding Year 2000 compliance
on MPE/V.  I have moved on to other things now and have transitioned
both MPE/V and the Year 2000 issues to my co-worker; however, I have the
good word on the Year 2000 compliance.

The article published in the Release 30 Communicator by Len Crowley in
1992 addressed only a subset of the software we support in our Roseville
lab  which had been updated for Year 2000 compliance while lab engineers
were in the midst of making other changes.  However, a full investigation
of ALL software owned by our lab was not completed until mid 1996. The
good news, is that because our lab engineers are **so awesome** (and I
mean that sincerely) they had already incorporated *most* of the Year 2000
changes along the way.  By the time we finished the fuller investigation
in 1996, we found only five applications that did not already comply with
the Year 2000.

The following applications have known problems in complying with the
Year 2000.  HP will bring the applications into compliance by providing
patches with the estimated fix dates listed below.  (I don't know for sure
if these patches have already been released or not since I'm no longer
working on this issue...)

Product Number          Name                  Estimated Fix Date
--------------          -------------         ------------------------
30247A                  SNA/IMF               End of calendar year '96
32244A                  Dictionary/V          End of calendar year '96
32101B                  BASIC/V               End of calendar year '96
32115A                  Business BASIC/V      End of calendar year '96
32246A                  Inform/V              No Fix Date Planned

The MPE/V systems themselves will not function properly beginning in the
year 2028 due to an internal storage standard used to save the year since
1900. There are no plans to address this issue as the MPE/V hardware platform
is scheduled to reach the end of support life in January 1998.

While the currently supported versions of the MPE/V operating system
(Platform 2P, 3P and Release 40) support the year 2000, one version,
V-Delta-4, will not function properly beginning in the year 2000.  V-Delta-4
is an older version of the operating system that is certified for Department
of Defense C2 security.  There are no plans to patch the V-Delta-4 version of
the MPE/V operating system to support the year 2000.  There also are no plans
to certify a later version of the MPE/V operating system that supports the
year 2000 to adhere to C2 security standards.

Except for the two issues noted above, HP has validated that the MPE/V
operating system and subsystems support multiple date formats including a
two digit year and correctly manipulate dates outside the year 2000.  In
addition, HP has verified that the MPE/V software components related to
system clocks represent January 1, 2000 correctly and that leap year is
accommodated in the years 2000 through 2028 at which point the system reaches
the limitation described above.

I hope this helps to clarify any confusion about MPE/V Year 2000 Compliance.

Regards to All,
Tracy DeDore
HP SSD Marketing