HP3000-L Archives

February 1997, Week 1

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 15:17:36 -0700
I visited http://www.flash.net/~ronbr/html2/hp3000.htm and learned that B/S
Enterprises is involved in many software related activities, such as:
Website Design, CAM Support (HP/3000 MANMAN -- formerly ASK, now CA), PC
Programming in Windows.  Lost in the middle is a JEWEL having to do with
viruses.  Find it in the paragraphs below!

--------------------------------

Ron has this to say about the HP3000 computer and its IMAGE database
management system:

This is perhaps the most dependable computer line ever built. Just ask
anyone who uses them.

It has been my pleasure and occupation for over 15 years to work with these
machines. I've seen them grow from being a small machine... to becoming a
machine to rival "Big Blue". In fact (I believe), the AS400 was patterned
after it to compete.

Operating Systems Goodies. One of the really neat things about the HP3000
is that the programmer does not have to be concerned about which disc drive
contains the data. (Yes, dear friends, the word is disc on this machine).
Another point is that the JCL (Job Control Language) is also quite simple
and logical. In any case, how can one fault a machine that uses Hello to
log on, and Bye to log off?

Incidentally, since the HP3000 is neither Unix nor DOS/Windows, viruses do
not survive or function in the MPE environment. I have yet to hear of an
HP3000 anywhere that has been struck by a virus.

Database Management System. Another of the neat things about the HP3000 is
the DBMS named "IMAGE". Even as the HP3000 is dependable, so is this
DBMS... Over 10 years ago it was once said that HP should sell IMAGE, and
give the computers away. This might be stretching it a bit, but the point
was well taken.

--------------------------------

Way to go, Ron!

 _______________
|               |
|            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego               Tel 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs           Fax 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.

                                                                .