HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 5

From:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Therm-O-Link <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 11:22:09 EST
All right, I'm showing my ignorance (again).  We're looking at
connecting two HP3K's located in different states.  I getting quotes
on T1 or frame relay connections between sites.  We want to use the
remote computer as a hot site for data recovery.  That means we'll
be using SharePlex/NetBase to shadow the data from the "home"
computer to the "remote" computer.

1)  We won't be using the remote computer for any processing (except
for the data shadowing), so I don't think we'll need the full SharePlex
/NetBase Bundle (Product #A2359A/A2360A).  I think we only need the
Shadowing product (#B3933AA/B3934AA).  Correct?

2)  Disk Mirroring is sometimes mentioned as being hand-in-hand with
SharePlex/NetBase, but appears to protect against disk failures by
automatically switching to the mirror disk if the primary disk fails.
So, if I can make provision to recover from a disk failure (incurring
some downtime) by switching over to the backup system, I don't really
need Disk Mirroring (unless I want zero downtime).  Correct?

3)  If #2 is correct, I can get around a bad disk by switching everyone
to the backup computer system (by using OpenView System Manager and DTC
Manager).  Correct?

4)  OpenView requires the Management Node (home system) to have MPE/iX
4.5 or later and ThinLAN 3000/iX Link (36923A) which is bundled with
5.0 (and later?).  The Managed Node (remote system) must have MPE/iX 2.1
or later, and DTC X.25/iX Network Link or X.25 Link, and NS3000/Ix (36920A);
OR ThinLAN 3000/IX Link (36923A) - which implies MPE/iX 5.0 or later; OR
NS Point-to-Point Link (36922A).  My question is "If I have two systems on
MPE/iX 5.5, do I need anything else to make OpenView work?".

5)  Disk Mirroring only works with disks attached to the same computer,
SharePlex/NetBase works with multiple computers.  Correct?

Thanks for any answers you can provide, or any other comments and help.

Jim Phillips                            Manager of Information Systems
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]      Therm-O-Link, Inc.
Phone: (330) 527-2124                   P. O. Box 285
  Fax: (330) 527-2123                   Garrettsville, Ohio  44231