HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 5

From:
Mike Paivinen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Paivinen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 03:02:40 GMT
Mark Bixby ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: However, when I start Apache in standalone mode, it looks like it is failing
: to fork off its child processes.  The main process terminates without error,
: and no child processes are left running in the background.  Of course, no
: errors show up in the Apache log files.  Can the POSIX programming gurus tell
: me about any gotchas they've uncovered in getting daemons to fork themselves
: into the background?

This is expected behavior.  We don't support the UNIX method of creating
daemons.  When a parent process terminates, so do all of its children.  One
way to fix this problem is to run the standalone version in a job and make
the parent process block forever instead of terminating.

: Since standalone mode wasn't working, I switched to inetd mode.  When I
connect
: to the server from a client, inetd starts up Apache.  However, when the
client
: submits an HTTP GET request (or any request), the connection is broken by the
: server.  But if I display the $stdlist of the inetd job, it contains the data
: that should have been returned across the network to the client.  The data is
: correct, i.e. the contents of a web page -- it's just sent to inetd's
$stdlist
: instead of to the client.  Are there any issues about inetd-spawned processes
: inheriting the incoming TCP connection that I should know about?

I don't have a clue about this one.  Maybe someone who worked on the inetd
implementation can answer.

Mike P.
Mike Paivinen

Hewlett-Packard