HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 5

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 30 Jan 1997 10:38:20 -0600611_us-ascii Sorry for the late comment on this thread (been away for a few days...)

At 09:01 PM 1/24/97 -0800, Stan Sieler wrote:
> then, to see what CPU utilization is right.....now, do:
>

> get process CPU time for the background process.
> pause 10 seconds
> get process CPU time for the background process.

I saw this approach used by an SE (Gerry ?) from Englewood CO in a tool
called RESPONSE done in the late 70's. Essentially this technique is a way
to indirectly measure how long a process waits on the dispatch queue after
becoming ready [...]47_30Jan199710:38:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:12:19 -0800
Chris Breemer writes:
> Guess what, the MPE/iX Dev.Kit Reference does not mention PM at all ! Having said that,
> perhaps I'm using an outdated version (second edition 1994). Dammkit, the one time I RTFM
> it lets me down ... ;-)

Unfortunately I think that E0494 edition *is* the most current version.  That's
what's on my November 1996 Laserrom CD.

I am not impressed with this manual.  There are major omissions (i.e. just
saying "appropriate privileges" in setuid() when GETPRIVMODE is the reality),
and serious typographical problems.

The whole thing looks like a rush job, with much of it just cut/pasted from
Unix, without editing to remove references to functionality that isn't
implemented under MPE POSIX.

There are also POSIX functions that have been added since E0494 -- lstat()
comes to mind.  Are there others?  Who knows.

Once I've finished porting Apache, I'd like to work together with all of the
other POSIX people on HP3000-L to do a web page entitled something like
"MPE POSIX Porting Tips & Tricks" to fill in the gaps missing from the HP
manuals....
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/