HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 5

From:
John J Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 15:28:04 EST
I was glad to about some of the Internet offerings today (even though I
knew most of it from this list server). But my basic feeling (as I noted
on the survey) is:
"The HP3k is dead. Just keep it going until the customers realize it."

My paycheck may be blue (only because I'm outsourced), but my heart is
HP3k. I am now looking for a new direction as my main base.
NT quickly then Unix over the long haul? Maybe NT quickly and then
AS400 (heart be still)? Who can honestly tell me that HP hasn't killed
the 3k momentum. The only thing that HP could do would be to match the
R&D $$$ that they put into Unix and that may not be enough.

At HP (Cleveland) there were about 40 people (8 of which were from my
shop) attending the conference. Even 2-3 years ago that room would
have had standing room only and the session would have lasted 3-4 hours.

Today, the session was only 1.5 hours and the projection of what was
coming s/w wise was dismal. The h/w was less. No real commitment. No
real enthusiasm from the HP panel.

And I wasn't the only one there that felt this way!

These views ARE mine, not my employer.

John J. Archer           AD/M Data Integrator
ph:(330) 798-2190        IBM Global Services (for General Tire)
fx:(330) 798-3912        One General St.   Akron, Oh. 44329
E-Mail: john [log in to unmask]