HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 5

From:
Mark Undrill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Undrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 13:03:22 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Eric Popish <[log in to unmask]>
writes
>Based on an article in The 3000 News Wire (FlashPaper Jan 1997) I
>downloaded a trial copy of GUI3000 which was developed by Pete
>Vickers - System Consultant in the UK. According to the article, GUI3000
>provides an "Explorer-like front end for your HP3000". I was wondering if
>anyone else has tried or purchased this product and what their thoughts
>were before I load it on to my system.
>
>=====================
>Eric Popish
>MIS Manager
>Directors Guild of America
>=====================
I downloaded the package late last week. I'm afraid to report that it
was a shambles. The HP3000 server side did not run at all without a lot
of work on the JCL by myself and the PC client side didn't run either.
Worse than that it errorenously installed a WINSOCK.DLL into my
WINDOWS\SYSTEM which stopped Reflection et al in its tracks.

After profuse appoligies from Pete I downloaded a later version from his
web site early this week (about Jan. 28th). This was much better. The
HP3000 client software ran up without a hitch. The PC client however
still gave errors. Pete's given me a fix for this. I think the problem
was that I installed the new version over the old one which left my old
INI file in place.

Now it all runs and works as described. If you think you have a use for
such a tool then it's worth a look. If you downloaded the demo more than
a vew days ago I suggest you go get another one ;-)
--
Mark Undrill                            Telephone: +44 (0)1684 291710
Affirm Limited                          Fax.:      +44 (0)1684 291712