HP3000-L Archives

January 1997, Week 4

From:
Michael L Gueterman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael L Gueterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 08:53:10 -0800
He's probably speaking about Openview Console/System Manager
(They are the same thing, but it depends on whether you use it to
monitor/control one or multiple systems).  Basically, it is a client/server
setup where you have a Windows 3.11 based PC (last time I checked,
Windows 95 was still not 'fully' supported since the MS Winsock stack
lacked some features that Openview can use.  If you don't mind losing
the ability to 'poll' IP addresses, then I've used Windows 95 with the
MS stack without any apparent problems) talking to a 3000.  The PC
is running the Openview environment which is a windows program.
Under Openview, you run console/system manager.  This application
allows you to receive messages from the 3000 via ICONS on a map
that you design to match your 3000's environment.  For example you
would have an icon for <SPOOLERS>, <NETWORKING>, etc.  When
a message is sent to the 3000's console, a job running on the 3000
which is monitoring the console buffer picks it up and writes it to a
database for safe keeping (for multiple 3000's, there is a "management
node", and "managed nodes".  The "managed nodes" pass all of their
messages back to the "management node" where the database resides).
The system where the database lives is where the Openview PC's connect
up, and another job passes along the messages where the icons on the
PC's map turn colors to indicate that an "event" has occurred, and how
severe the event is (different colors equate to different levels of severity).
Most all of the system generated messages have already been coded
by HP to correspond to certain icons, at certain severity levels.  You can
setup your own applications to write to these same icons, or create custom
ones for your own use.  There is a lot of flexibility there.
  Another piece of this puzzle is what is called "Auto Response".  Basically,
you can create "responses" to some of the events that occur. That is if you
would always respond to a stopped output spooler message by starting the
spooler, you can have the system do it for you.  If you can create a CI
command file to handle the event, you can let auto response do it for you.
One of the most used functions here is to "suppress" events from reaching
the PC.  If (for example) you don't want to have every logon or logoff event
trigger an icon change, you can tell Auto Response to 'discard' the event
(which basically means don't pass it along to the management node, or
don't write it to the database.  Since it never gets into the database, the
PC will never know the event happened).  All of the information is still
in your system logs just as before, but the PC's will never see it.  This
is a very powerful feature.
  The last piece (at least the last major piece as far as I'm concerned) is the
ability to remotely monitor/assume control of the console.  You can have a
window up which looks like a 'read only' console.  All of the messages are
there, but you have no ability to respond.  In controlling the console, you
must have the Remote Console Port hooked up so that a reflections script
kicked off by Openview can make the connection for you.  There are several
supported methods (serial, pad, etc.) but some functionality is available only
in certain modes (such as the ability to automatically determine when a system
failure has occurred).  This gives you the ability to easily bring the system up
and down remotely.
  I really like the product overall, but I'm still waiting on an answer from HP
to a question I asked at the MPE roundtable at HP World.  That was "what
is the status of Openview System Manager in relation to Operations Center
for the MPE platform" (or something to that effect).  I've spoken with Leah
at Interex, and they are still pursing an answer with HP, but.....

Regards,
Michael L Gueterman
Easy Does It Technologies
email: [log in to unmask]